Pinterest Success Once More!
I’m cruising around my Pinterest and wondering what I can do next when I decided to bite the bullet and make some mixes. Admittedly, I didn’t make as many as I wanted to, but that’s because I took Caramon to finish his Eagle paperwork. And he did! About time!
We started with this pin:
Seemed simple enough. One large box of Borax, one large box of washing soda, three bars of Fels Naptha soap. We grated the soap and this ended up in boys alternating. Those bars are hard! We did read that you can attempt to swap out for ivory and that might be nice. We like ivory a lot and it might be smaller. The smell is O.K. but definitely not like some of the detergents you purchase. Easily solved, and we’ll work on that and put in a future post! This ended up filling not only a 19 cup plastic container but half a quart sized ziplock baggie which I plan to share with a friend. I did some quickie math, the container is about 300 tablespoons and this only takes 1 tbsp per load. Holy wow, that’s going to last forever and I spent a whopping $12 on this stuff. Hoping it works out well!
We made up some muffin and pancake mixes next. This will work well as we like to make those a lot. We made the muffins up and for whatever reason all our chocolate chips sank to the bottom. That happens with us sometimes anyway, but still a bummer. I will admit that the muffins tasted OK, but they were a bit “eggy”. We’re going to try to cut an egg next time and see what happens.
We planned to make the brownie mix, which seems a little friendlier with less sugar, but we’re short on containers so I decided that with nine box mixes, we could hold out.
On the brownie note, we did try this:
Consensus: Where have you been our whole lives? Oh wait. Awful. Don’t do this one. Your hips will thank me. (Really, this was fantastic and a true winner!)
Outside of food and on the craftie front, I made one of these chapstick cozies:
It went together crazy fast and turned out nice. I plan to make these as some small gifts for Christmas. I first need to pick up an actual tube of chapstick just to ensure I get the sizing correct. The one I made ended up with a slightly bulkier yarn than I think looks phenomenal, but it will work. I think this would be a fantastic use of scrap yarn!
And the process on the baby hoodie?
Awesome. I finally finished the knitting, but did not have enough yarn for the hood. I need to just put the pieces together! Hopefully that will be done by next week.
I’m hoping that all this work is good for my family. I’m saving money, we’re eating at home, and we’re just all around being “healthy” and “green” at the same time.
The internet dubbed this as “Unprocessed October” and I am grateful for the #unprocessed community, especially on twitter. They cheered for me, chatted with me, and offered me great advice in my mix making endeavors. I definitely plan to do more! I just want containers and a pretty kitchen!
I also want to give a shout out to my yarnie buddies, thanks for all the support you’ve offered as well as ideas! You’re amazing!
This week I also spent some time cleaning up my DIY board and turned it into several more specialized boards. You might want to check it out if you like to subscribe to my feed.